1. In a large pot (Creuset style) over medium heat, sauté the onions, shallots and garlic in the selected fat stirring often until caramelized, about 20 to 30 minutes.
2. Deglaze with the wine and scrape out the bits at the bottom of the pot. Add broth and bouquet garni. Salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer for about 25 minutes and check seasoning.
3. Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F)
4. Toast the bread on a baking sheet in the oven (you can broil the cheese at this stage).
5. Ladle soup into 6 bowls, place a slice of bread on each and cover with 75 ml (⅓ cup) cheese.
6. Place the bowls on a baking sheet, broil.