Vegpro International Inc. is a recognized North American leader in innovation in agricultural production and the packaging of salads and vegetables to supply our customers in Canada and on the East Coast of America year-round. North. Known under the brand name “Fresh Attitude’’ our prewashed lettuces are available in major food chains.
A Canadian company that employs nearly 1,000 employees and has experienced sustained and accelerated growth since its founding in 1998. It offers a very dynamic work environment and ambitious growth challenges. The company has 4 product packaging factories, two factories in Sherrington, QC, one in Coldstream, British Columbia and one in Belle-Glade in Florida, in addition to cultivating land in Quebec, British Columbia and Florida.
The Mechanic Engineer – Automation Specialist will help support a Lean culture focused on continuous improvement in the plant. Thus, his responsibilities will focus on choosing and optimizing the performance of our automated systems. More specifically, he will monitor and recommend automated systems, its components and / or technological choices, ensure their optimal integration into our environment, solve complex technical problems and transfer the technical knowledge associated with operational resources.
In addition, you will contribute jointly with the multidisciplinary teams, to the improvement and optimization of processes and methods in order to allow better profitability and productivity of operational activities.
Main responsibilities of the Mechanical Engineer – Automation Specialist
- Able to troubleshoot and repair complex equipment malfunctions with minimal downtime
- Able to fine tune automated systems for required production efficiency and quality
- Perform maintenance duties involving mechanical operations as well as electrical equipment
- Perform preventative maintenance such as changing contacts, checking motors and the operations of robotics systems
- Troubleshoot, drag and repair electrical and electronic systems on any converting plant equipment including any electromechanical production equipment
- Ability to install, maintain, and troubleshoot power distribution systems, branch circuits, lighting systems, transformers, and wiring methods
- Ability to install, maintain, and troubleshoot relay logic, ladder diagrams, control components photo eyes, motor starters relays, limit switches, proximity sensors, timers, solenoids, servo drivers, frequency inventers, linear drivers, tachs, and encoders
- PLC program, ability to troubleshoot ladder logic (read use for troubleshooting), components (CPU back plains, IO boards, counters, modules, and devices) and communication modules (Ethernet)
- Able to plan and layout projects; installation of equipment and utility connections
- Has computer experience with Microsoft word, excel, windows, e-mail, purchasing/pm program
- Will be required to perform other duties as requested, directed or assigned
Qualifications of the Mechanical Engineer – Automation Specialist
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 3 years of experience in a maintenance shop or any combination of education, training, and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position
- Occasional availability is required during evenings and weekends, depending on the needs of the projects or operations
- Demonstrated results-orientation
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and adjust to changing priorities
- Sound analytical and business judgment including demonstrated problem-solving and trouble-shooting skills
- Demonstrated understanding of technology, including complexities of products, machinery, and costs
- Working knowledge of Electronics, PLC’s, VFD’s, Servo Drives, Hydraulics, Pneumatics and mechanical capabilities of the equipment
- Should possess working knowledge of refrigeration, heating and cooling systems
- Experience with maintenance management systems (i.e. Proteus) a plus
- Previous experience in a fresh cut processing facility a plus
- Bilingual (Spanish / English) a plus
Skills and ability of the Mechanical Engineer – Automation Specialist
- Use of power and hand tools
- Use of diagnostic equipment
- Acetylene and electric arc welding
- Operation of machine and equipment for diagnostic purposes
- Ability to implement change
- Diagnose problems and make repairs
- Effectively handle lifting of various objects weighing up to 60 pounds
- Prepare and maintain records and reports
- Follow written and verbal instructions, including manufacturers’ service specifications
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing
Vegpro International is committed to employment equity and diversity.
We thank you for your interest in the position and the company. Please note that all applications are evaluated. However, only candidates selected for the shortlist will be contacted.