1. In a big bowl or a stand mixer, combine the flour, yeast, and half of the salt with the water and the maple syrup. Knead for about 5 minutes until obtaining a uniform dough. Cover and let rise at room temperature for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, lightly sauté the shallots over medium heat until tender.
3. On a floured work surface, spread the dough and sprinkle the shallots. Fold the dough back on itself several times to combine the shallots and the dough homogeneously.
4. Form a dozen balls of dough. Make a hole in the center and stretch it to give a bagel shape. Place them on a floured baking sheet. Cover and let stand again for 15 min.
5. Preheat oven to 450 °F (230 ° C).
6. In a large saucepan, boil 2 to 3 liters of water with the malt syrup, the baking soda and the remaining salt. Poach each bagel, 1 to 2 minutes per side, then place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
7. Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Thanks to Julie Fournier for this delicious recipe!
For a more gourmet recipe, add Swiss cheese to the bagels before baking them in the oven.